Thursday 26 May 2016

IMPROVING OUR CLASSES

We  can think  about 

1. What can I improve?
2. What would I like to try?
3. What am I not happy with?
4. Is there anything which is not working?

      One of the things I'm  not satisfied  with, it's the difficulty my students have to generalise French grammatical contents.

         I have always thought  that  English had an easy grammar but even if you are good at  it, it doesn't mean you can speak more or less fluent English and I was absolutely sure that  grammar is the least important area to start with if we want to communicate in English.

           On the other hand, the French  language is very similar to Spanish, and I thought that if you learnt the most important grammar rules, you would be able to communicate quite complex messages in French. However, a significant number of students don't assimilate the verbal tenses, the conditional rules or the subjunctive. Therefore, I've returned to the square one: Grammar in context ? Repetition of structures ? Prioritising the oral against the writing? Work with a project? Throw away the grammar rules?

        I feel as if I'm a slave of my “ready-to-wear” units. Perhaps my classes should be more spontaneous, and much more oral- Oral, oral, without pens, without chalks, without written documents to  support it...  Only  and absolutely naked oral.

No comments:

Post a Comment